You can upload a video or audio file to submit as an assignment in Canvas. You can also use Canvas to record an audio or video file to submit as an assignment. Before submitting an assignment, you may want to review all assignment information, such as the assignment rubric, if any. You can also submit assignments using your Android or iOS device.
Any attachments added as part of a graded assignment submission are also copied to your user files but are not counted against your user quota. However, once the file has been uploaded as a submission, you cannot delete the file. Files are stored in the Submissions folder.
To learn more about available options for using media files in Canvas, view the Canvas Media Comparison PDF.
- Canvas will not accept media uploads larger than 500 MB.
- Your instructor will decide what type of submissions are allowed. One or both of these options may not be available. You may also have the option to resubmit assignments if your instructor allows.
- Not all of your assignments may be submitted online. If you cannot see the Submit Assignment link, your instructor may want you to submit your assignment in a different way, or the availability date has passed. View the description of the assignment for instructions, or contact your instructor for assistance.
- If enabled in your account, Canvas plays a celebration animation when you submit an assignment on time. However, if you prefer, you can disable this feature option in your user settings.
- If the assignment you are accessing displays differently, your assignment may be using the Assignment Enhancements feature option. Please view this guide for more information.